Philippine Top Destinations

Philippine Top Destinations

Oktubre 4, 2012

Patroness of Bicol



Patroness of Bicol
By: Meriam C. Moriño




            The Peñafrancia begins every September 7 and it is also the date for the traslacion procession that begun in 1885. Ever since I was a kid, I never miss any traslacion or fluvial procession of Ina. My family would never be satisfied if we will just watch the procession on tv. We need to witness it right in front of our own eyes and experience the good feeling that Ina brought to us whenever the images of her and the divino rostro passes through the main streets.

            As a devotee, every time I see the image of Ina, I really feel the real essence of it and witness the eagerness and aggressiveness of the male voyadores just to touch her or if they could not reach Ina they just give their handkerchiefs to those fathers assisting or protecting the image of Ina.  Aside from traslacion, there are also important events like civic and military parade, trade fairs and cultural shows. When I was in high school, I also participated on the said military parade, I was an executive officer or Ex-O for the delta company and believe me it was a great experience.


            Nonetheless, fluvial procession is one of the main highlights of all events. the image is carried in a pagoda with the male voyadores shouting “Viva la virgen” and also the people waving their handkerchiefs who welcome and give respect while she passes the river.

            Lastly, whenever the Peñafrancia comes Naga City is always blasted of a lot of tourists, devotees, and pilgrims. So that’s why it really boost the tourism industry and at the same time promote the Bicolano Culture especially the patroness of Bicol, Our Ina,


1 komento: